Tuesday 23 August 2011

Hello Kitty


The past week had been kind of busy.

Mun Wai, my niece from Brisbane arrived on Tuesday. She is spending a few days in Malaysia before leaving for Beijing where she will spend the next six months studying Mandarin.

My god-daughter, Wei Yi arrived yesterday. She is also spending a few days with her extended god-family in KL before leaving for London early next month. She will be studying to be a chemical engineer in UCL.

In between I have been doing a bit of baking. There is one cake that I must mention because I had so much fun doing it. It was  a birthday cake for a little girl who would be two and the mother had requested for a HELLO KITTY cake.


People who knows me would surely remember how Hello-Kitty-mad I was about eighteen to twenty years ago. I remember queing up at MacDonalds for their Happy Meals because I wanted the Hello Kitty dolls. My young sons would have their Happy Meals while I would keep the dolls! It was a most amiciable arrangement.

I would buy Hello Kitty stationery, Hello Kitty bags and Hello Kitty watches. I had been given storage boxes, lunch boxes, mirrors, costume jewellery with Hello Kitty. The list goes on.


The years came and went and in the daily busyness of living, Hello Kitty became something I only stop to have a quick look in the shops.

So when this request came in, can you imagine my delight. I have always made the cakes for all the birthdays of my children but with three boys and no girl, a Hello Kitty cake has never made an appearance. My god-daughter? Nah, she is not really into Hello  Kitty.

"Yes, of course! Of course I will make a Hello Kitty cake." I assured Ashley's mother.


I started looking again  and realised that despite the years, I have remained a true Hello Kitty fan. There is something appealing in her mouthless face adorned with her trademark red bow.




No comments:

Post a Comment